Okay so all of you who have read my blog know that sometimes I talk about how Madi can be SO demanding and cranky, and just basically out of control..... Well Ladies and Gents! Guess what... yes I believe I have found the answer! But there is quite the story to go along... so here goes:
For a long time we have known Madi is strong willed. I have read books, and articles, and journals. I have done research and some things seemed to help but there was never a solution. That all changed the day I read about red dye 40. It appears that my child has a red dye 40 intolerance... and while that may sound bad... it was the best news I could have ever discovered! It has been amazing... I read about it online when researching (yet again) "difficult toddlers" One mother had stated she came across it and started looking it up and seeing how so many of the symptoms fit her child... Well I decided to look into it a little more. What do ya know.... I started really paying attention to what has that horrible awful red dye 40.... I was so amazed to find what contained it! Grapefruit juice, BBQ sauce, flinstone vitamins, crazy amount of things... So I began to cut these things out, and really read the labels. It has been the most amazing thing! My child hasn't had the tantrums.... you know I wouldn't even call what she would do tantrums... because she has the toddler tantrums, but she would just be uncontrollable, inconsolable, and so upset. Anyways I'm so grateful I came across that article by that mom!! So hopefully maybe I can pass it forward. There are so many things that go along with it too. It isn't just the attitude change, but aches and pains in joints, diarrhea, rashes, itchy skin, uncoordinated movements. Anyways I have gone on a lot of "kicks" of my newest self diagnosis of my child because dr. apts were pointless.... but Brian even is backing me up on this one... Which means it must really be something! He doesn't just go along because... he has to feel like there is more to it.. For example, for a while I thought Madi's upset tummy and bowel problems were due to lactose intolerance... well I tried all sorts of cutting stuff out, but I can't say Brian was nearly as into it as I was... anyways I tell you that story so you understand the magnitude of him going along with me on this newest found cure! :) It's a big deal. So that is my story and I am again SO grateful I came across the article by the other mom. If anyone ever wonders what to do when others have labeled your child "the difficult, strong willed one" I encourage looking it up to see. Those are my thoughts on that. :)
Well school has started again... one last class to go! And i'm a 1/3 of the way through! I also started my first internship and it has been so amazing! It has been awesome and my clinical instructor has been so great! She is a wealth of knowledge and is the type of PTA I want to be someday. It has been super fun to put what I have learned into practice. Some things are still awkward and hard but I hope someday I will be comfortable with them. I actually had the opportunity to sit in on a total knee replacement surgery. It was amazing... very enlightening. All in all this semester has been the most fun and I'm so grateful for this opportunity. It hasn't been easy. Especially because of the circumstances, Madi is having a little vacation time in Washington with her Gramie, Papi and Aunt Alyssa. She is loving her life and all the animals and attention she is getting. And they have some pretty fun stuff for a little Madison... but it is never fun to be that far away from your buddy. (And just another 2 cents for my red dye 40 theory... my mom decided that Madi was a new person! She couldn't believe how much easier she was to get along with!) 2 more weeks of my internship and then a week down in Farmington and this semester will be over! It has only just begun but I'm feeling like it will fly by! That is my update! So here are some random pictures from the time that has passed!












hey!! congrats!! im so gald you are able to find something that works!! i hope she continues to get better and better, how fun to have a little bit of a new kid!! glad the semester is going well!!
ReplyDeleteYay for a cure! That's so great you were able to figure out how to help the poor little dear. Hope it keeps working! She's such a doll :)
ReplyDelete